It was my freshman year of college that my roommate, Chelsey, introduced me to the idea of "No sugar month" in February.... something that she and Erica had started to do together as sort of a cleansing thing in high school. Of course I thought it was ridiculous and pointless (because the truth is I didn't have the self control to do it too, and i was jealous) but I decided to see if I could do it. I failed miserably my freshman year because I scummed to the temptation of all of the valentines treats everywhere we would go.
After freshman year, I was determined to successfully make it through February sugar free. And we are not just talking desserts here, we went all the way to say that anything that had the word "sugar" or "high fructose corn syrup" in the ingredients was off limits. IT WAS TORTURE, but very invigorating at the same time. As a natural substitute for sweets, we would eat honey on our sugar free wheat bread... okay and on everything else... which meant that our whole apartment was covered in Honey. I remember our other roommate, Stephanie, loosing it one day when she started sticking to her own computer... THAT'S IT THE HONEY HAS GOT TO STOP!! She made sure to make the challenge hard for us by always having fresh baked treats laying out on the counter each day.
Needless to say... for some reason, we continued to torture ourselves every February. After we had all graduated and weren't living together anymore, the torture just didn't seem as worth it, so we have slowly adapted No Sugar February to be "You can have sugar if..." month. So this year, we can have one dessert each week IF we eat 3-5 fruit and vegetable servings every day and work out at least 20 minutes 4 times a week, and we have to report to each other every week to make sure that we are sticking to the plan. I know it doesn't seem like much of a challenge anymore, but we are hoping it will become more of a lifestyle change... and it helps keep us connected even though we live all over the country now.
If you are interested in joining us in our "you can have sugar if..." challenge, let me know... the more the merrier!!!
PROUD TO BE SUGAR FREE!
3 comments:
That sounds like torture!! I love sugar! Sounds like a good plan though. Maybe I'll see if I can do it for just one week and then if I can maybe I'll try for 2. Good luck to you and your girls though.
Good for you. I just finished no treat month in January. I still ate yogurt and things like that (that have sugar) but nothing that was considered a treat... and it was still hard. Yours is even harder. What do you even eat, cory syrup and sugar (be it white, brown, or others) is in everything. We are really trying hard to not have the corn syrup but it is even in hummas! I want a run down of your menu and the bread that you get. Maybe I will just have to make everything from scratch. Better go tell Ryan we need to turn our yard into a garden!
I totally remember you doing this when we worked at Cougar Creations! You're a nut job and I love it! :-)
Post a Comment