Monday, April 26, 2010

New Baby + Daddy Night Terrors = NO SLEEP

I keep hoping that George will grow out of his night terrors, but they always seem to come back when there is something that is new or something he's anxious or stressed about. So, obviously a new baby in the home is going to be a big trigger for his night terrors.
He only did a few weird things in the hospital, like sitting up in the middle of the night and talking gibberish to the window, or jumping up to hold the wall up... luckily the baby was in the nursery during those episodes.
Since we've been home, he's been really bad. He sits up a lot talking, or starts walking towards the door like he's going to go check on the baby... I always wake up and yell at him to get back to bed... the last thing I need is my half consious husband picking up our new baby.
Last night was the scare of all scares... I've never been so panicked in my life! We have been keeping the baby in his bed since we got home so that we could get decent sleep during the three hour feeding breaks, but this morning, I heard wimpering, and could feel jerky movements next to me in the bed. I looked at the clock and noticed it was almost time for the next feeding so I look over and George is holding something in his hands... I freaked out... Is that the baby?? "yes!" he said, so I go to grab the baby from my still sleeping husband and find it's just a pillow. But I swear I had heard wimpering! I started frantically pulling away at sheets and pillows and couldn't find the baby anywhere. I was so freaked out that he was suffocated or something. Finally I was woken up enough to think straight and looked at the video monitor, only to see that the baby was sound asleep, safe in his crib. RELIEF!
Anyway, George did that at least two more times last night. Finally I remember turning over when it was almost time for George to get up and noticed he was holding that pillow again, and he looked at it and said something like, "This isn't a baby, this is just a pillow."
Oh My! So, anyway, I'm not sure what is giving me less sleep at night, the new baby feeding sessions or my dang husband!

7 comments:

HiccupMeL said...

I bet you are seriously flipping out. Poor Max... poor George... and poor you!! I hope those night terrors stop so you can all get the sleep you need/deserve. When things slow down a bit -- I need to come bring a gift! :)

Megan said...

Oh my gosh, that IS scary! You must be exhausted! Hopefully once everyone gets used to the new routine and things settle down a little bit more George will stop having so many night terrors. In the meantime, thank goodness from video monitors!

Chelsey said...

Wow... I don't think I'd ever be able to fall asleep. Is George worried too? I hope everything calms down soon for you. Maybe you can lock Max's door and hide the key from George at night? Good luck...hopefully Max will start sleeping long periods early for you so that you get a little extra sleep

Ken and Jos said...

Gosh, that's scary but I had to laugh at some. Hopefully George can relax a bit. Have you thought about taking him to the doc? There has to be something for those dang things.

Jill said...

Oh Ash, I was hoping George wouldn't have any night terrors when you guys got home. Hopefully he gets used to the change soon and you won't have to worry as much! Let me know if you need some help so you can take a nap or two!

Shannon said...

Congratulations on your sweet little baby! Your post made me laugh so hard! Maybe you should lock up the baby's room!

Jamie said...

Dave did that alot when we brought our first baby home. I know it's probably scary in real life, but it is really funny to read about! :) hang in there.