
My sweet grandmother, Freida, passed away this morning at 97 years and one week old. She really hung in there! Max and I were able to go say goodbye and give her hand one more squeeze while it was still warm. I will miss my grandma, but I feel so strongly that she is happy, and that she is with grandpa... after almost fifty years, I'm sure that was a beautiful reunion!
I didn't know my grandma too well since she was already 70 when I was born, and the last 10 or so years she has been suffering from dimensia. I do remember her coming to visit us from Idaho every year and bringing tons of candy (knowing that we hardly ever had treats in our house growing up). I also know that she had a strong testimony of the gospel, and was always an inspiration to me with how she dedicated her life to serving others (especially through temple work and geneaolgy), and studying the scriptures. But what I will remember most about my grandmother is how she would sit and listen to us practice the piano every time she came to visit. She would praise us, and always let us know how wonderful our playing was... We would end up practicing twice as long because she would request an encore. In her last years, I had a few more opportunities to visit and sit and play the piano for her, and again she would light up, and ask for more... and even though I knew she wasn't sure who I was, I knew that she loved me.
Farewell to my grandmother who I love very much. We WILL see you again!
3 comments:
Awwww, what a great tribute to her, and so great that you and Max were able to see her one last time! There's always comfort knowing where they are, and who they are with!
I am so sorry to hear about your grandma. Thank goodness for the gospel and the knowledge that we have.
Hey Ash. I was just in Utah for my Grandma's funeral this past Monday. When I read your post it made me want to give you my love since I know what you are going through. This was my first grandparent to pass away so it was especially hard for me, but her first husband (the one she was sealed to and the father of 8 of her children) passed away 46 years ago and I know she is with him again at long last. Thank goodness for the gospel. Merry Christmas.
Post a Comment